Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Passport to Denmark! (January 19, 2011)

Okay, remember those Mary-Kate and Ashley movies where they would go to different countries and run around and see things with very little plot? THAT IS HOW I FELT TODAY. The day began with a very crowded train ride for me. A man said something to me in Danish though, so I am going to pretend that it is definitely because he figured I am Danish. Win. Today's final orientation activity was a scavenger hunt all around our area of the city to historically and culturally important places where there would be a speaker to tell us about each location! We got into groups of about six- here is where I began to feel like MK&A because it was me, two other girls, and two boys. The perfect dynamic for a preteen movie? I think sooo. It was so much fun walking around the city and exploring, fumbling with maps the entire time.

Our first stop: Gråbrødretorv! "The most charming square in the city"
Here, there are lots of beautiful cafes and a sculpture in the center of the square surrounded by a variety of different buildings. The area is historically and architecturally important because throughout history many of the buildings were bombed or burned to the ground and were rebuild at different times, so while some survived, others are clearly from a different
architectural style.
The sculpture in the center was built in place of The Pillar of Shame- I kid you not.
Our second stop: The Royal Palace
The Royal Palace of Copenhagen is different than one might imagine. It is not what I expected a "Palace" to look like. As we learned today, this is because the circle of buildings that form the palace were actually built to be homes for the very rich but were instead purchased for the royal family. Also, I love the guards.

Next, we hit up the Royal Theater which is right on the water and then took a Harbor Boat to the Black Diamond- the city library before our final destination: Parliament!


Cool, huh? I love this city. And yes, it really is that dark and gray all of the time.
On our way to the Royal Palace, we ended up walking along one of the most picturesque areas of the city that you would probably all recognize from postcards and it finally hit my group and I that we were ACTUALLY in Copenhagen. The strip of houses and boats right before the water is just incredible, even in the gray light. And there was at least one treat that probably would not have been shown in any MK&A movie...

No comments:

Post a Comment