Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When in Denmark...blodpølse

Well, Denmark wins again. I just tried blood sausage. For those of you who know me, you should be well aware of what a giant leap this was for me because of my intense fear of blood. But! After two glasses of red wine and my desire to experience absolutely everything possible when it comes to studying abroad, I said what the hell, bring on the blood! Ew, okay I didn't say that exactly. Yes, I do realize that blood sausage is made from draining a pig of its blood and then baking it with raisins, fat, and flour. And yes, my host brother Mathias did kindly remind me continually throughout our after dinner blodpølse snack that it was, indeed, blood that I was eating. Anyway, what you do is buy the sausage and then slice it and throw it in a frying pan without butter or anything until it is black and smelling delicious. Then we poured syrup on it.

Curious as to what this Danish traditional treat could taste like? FRENCH TOAST. Literally. After my first few bites I could not figure it out but it finally hit me. Blood sausage has the exact same texture and taste of french toast, no wonder they put syrup on it! Don't ask me how or why, but it does. And it was good. I give it a thumbs up, although, I'm not sure how much of it I will be eating in the future.

2 comments:

  1. I had blood pudding here, and I was actually shocked at how good it is... Nothing like french toast, though!

    ReplyDelete